Matters Needing Attention of C8 HPLC Columns
C8 HPLC columns are the most widely used technique in high-performance liquid chromatography, mainly because it is suitable for the analysis of a large number of non-polar substances and many ionizable and ionic compounds. C8 HPLC columns (such as C8-Fluorine HPLC Column, C8 Low pH HPLC Columns, and C8-Universal HPLC Column) are a kind of chromatographic mode established by hydrophobic effect between surfaces of solute flows, polar and non-polar stationary phase.
C8 HPLC columns are used to isolate many organic compounds, which are one of the reversed-phase silica gel columns. The maintenance of C8 HPLC columns requires organic solvents. Chromatographic grade methanol is recommended and different brands of chromatographic columns should be treated differently. If the chromatographic column is stored after use and will not be used for a long time, it still needs to be saturated when reused.
The maintenance of C8 HPLC columns
1. Avoid sharp changes in pressure and temperature and any mechanical vibration.
2. The composition of the solvent should be changed gradually.
3. The suitable mobile phase is selected to avoid the destruction of the stationary phase.
4. C8 HPLC columns cannot recoil. Only the producer indicates that the column can be recoiled.
5. Wash the column frequently with a strong solvent to remove impurities retained in the column.
Matters needing attention of C8 HPLC columns
1. When loading, unloading, and replacing the columns, the action should be light and the joint should be tightened moderately.
2. Avoid injecting matrix complex samples, especially biological samples, directly into the column.
3. Column should be filled with acetonitrile or methanol and column joints should be tightened to prevent drying solvent volatilization.
Warning for using C8 HPLC columns
It is necessary to ensure that the column bed does not dry up, especially in the process of sample injection detection and column washing. Otherwise, the column will dry up and a large number of bubbles will be brought in, and even cause the column bed to local collapse or central cracking.
The difference between C8 HPLC columns and C18 HPLC columns
C8 is suitable for the analysis of substances with slightly stronger polarity in weakly polar substances, and C18 HPLC columns are suitable for the analysis of substances with weaker polarity in weakly polar substances, but the difference is not particularly obvious. Generally, substances that can be analyzed by C8 HPLC columns can also be separated by C18.