How to Use and Maintain Reversed-Phase HPLC Columns(1)
(1) When loading and unloading or replacing the HPLC columns, the action should be light and the joint should be tightened properly. Strong mechanical vibration must be prevented to avoid voids in the bed.
(2) If the instrument is used for routine analysis, the sample type is limited, but the number of analyses is large, it is possible to configure a special column for each type of routine analysis, which helps to extend the life of the column.
(3) Avoid sudden changes in pressure and temperature and any mechanical shock. A sudden change in temperature or a drop in column height will affect the filling of the column; A sudden increase or decrease in the pressure of the HPLC columns can also hinder the filling of the column packing, so the flow rate of the injection valve should be adjusted slowly. The valve must not rotate too slowly.
(4) The composition of the solvent should be gradually changed, especially in reversed-phase chromatography, not directly from organic solvents to whole water, and vice versa.
(5) When using the HPLC column temperature control device, it should be noted that the temperature can be raised after the mobile phase is passed.